What To Do Next With Your Deed Poll

Apply now

To legally change your name you should start by contacting all of the people whom you have records or documents with and inform them of your name change, for example; HM Passport Office and the DVLA.

You must notify everyone of your name change by sending them your deed poll or certified copy with a covering letter explaining your desired wishes (to update their records into your new name).

This also needs to be done at your earliest convenience as to make your name change legal, everyone must be notified first.

Additional Information about Changing your Name

Do I have to contact everyone about my name change?

Yes, this is a legal necessity when using a deed poll to change your name: you can’t simply “forget” to tell your credit card company and hope that they’ll never find you, because they probably will and you’ll be guilty of fraud.

If you want to have your photographic ID updated into your new name, the first two organisations to tell about your name change are HM Passport Office and the DVLA.

It is important to notify both of these organisations early on in the process of changing your name as it should streamline the rest of the name change process for you.

The top two you’ll want to contact are right at the top of the list, because doing these early on will give you photographic ID in your new name, which you can use to prove your identity (and which may streamline the process of changing your name with the others):

  • Passport Office
    They’ll want an original Deed Poll (not a photocopy). Make several “originals” so you can get started with this earlier. You’ll need to pay for a renewal of your passport, and it’ll take time to issue a new one, but this will give you photographic ID with your new name, which can be used to accelerate the process of changing your name elsewhere.
  • DVLA
    Getting your driver’s’ license changed gives you another form of photographic ID with your new name. Pick up a form D1 and fill it in, and send another “original” to them. Don’t forget to have them update your Vehicle Registration Document, if you own a car, too.

    • Your employer, school, college, or university.
    • Banks, building societies, credit cards, and mortgage providers.
    • Insurance companies.
    • Finance and loan companies.
    • Utility companies (gas, water, sewerage, electricity, telephone, mobile telephone, Internet, etc.).
    • Inland Revenue (ensure that they update your National Insurance records, too).
    • Doctor & dentist. They will update your NHS record on your behalf.
    • Professional bodies, memberships, clubs and societies.
    • TV Licensing.
    • HM Land Registry (if you own land or property).
    • Local authority (for council tax payment, electoral roll, etc.).
    • Investment companies, premium bonds, pension funds, etc.

Our Services

Receive your Professionally Hand Drafted Deed Poll & Everything else you need to change your name by First Class Post.
The best and most common way to change your name in the UK is by Deed Poll. What a lot of people do not realise is that they can change their name themselves. The issue with drafting your own Deed Poll is that it needs to be in the correct format to be accepted. Also Organisations such as Banks and Building Society’s may not accept them unless they are professionally drafted.

With our Deed Poll Drafting Services you will receive a professionally hand drafted Deed Poll via First Class Post, along with your Certified Copies, a personalised cover letter and straightforward guide that includes how to witness your Deed Poll, a list of Frequently asked questions and a list of Organisation’s that you will need to notify.

Adult Deed Poll Service

Legally change your name by deed poll from just £12.99 and have your deed poll dispatched within 24 hours of ordering.

Learn More

Child Deed Poll Service

The only way to legally change your child's name in the UK, whether you are a resident or citizen in the United Kingdom is by obtaining a deed poll.

Learn More

Replacement Deed Poll Service

If you did not obtain your deed poll from us, we will have no record of your name change as there is no official register to source your name change details from.

Learn More

Get your Deed Poll Online for £12.99