Notifying Companies & Organisations

Apply now

Who to notify about your name change

Once you have executed your deed poll, you must then tell people about your name change and update your official records by sending them your deed poll documents.

At this point you have done most of the work involved with changing your name by deed poll. You now simply need to tell everyone about your name change that has recently taken place.

You should start off by telling HM Passport Office and the DVLA about your name change, primarily so you can have your photographic ID updated into your new name.

Doing this should streamline the process of changing your name and having all other official documents and records updated.

Who you must tell about your name change

The list below will provide a starting point whilst not being exhaustive or overly complicated so that we don’t confuse you instead of helping you.

The organisations, departments and companies listed below in Section 1 are the places that will expect to see your original deed poll or a legal certified copy of your original.

Please note that you must send your original deed poll to HM Passport Office when updating your passport, any other document such as a photocopy will not be accepted as proof of your name change.

Those listed in Section 2 will accept a certified copy of your deed poll, which can be ordered on our secure checkout.

If you are unsure how many certified copies you will need to order, we have put together a page on what certified copies are and how many you may need.

What are legal copies and how many should you order?

A legal certified copy (sometimes referred to as a duplicate), is a true and recognised copy of your original deed poll that has been signed by us to show that it is a genuine copy and not a photocopy.

If you are looking to change your name within 8 weeks, you will need to order several copies of your deed poll, we typically recommend ordering between 6-10 certified copies.

It is important to order multiple copies of your deed poll as it enables you to update your official records and documents at once.

If you decide not to order any certified copies, you should expect the name change process to take longer than the typical two to eight weeks to complete.

Section 1

  • HM Passport Office (to apply for a new passport)
  • Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority (driving licence and vehicle registration document)
  • HM Land Registry (if you own land or property)
  • HM Revenue & Customs (for tax and National Insurance records)
  • Bank
  • Building Society
  • Credit card companies
  • Employer
  • Department for Work & Pensions
  • Private Pension company
  • Finance companies – sometimes not
  • Insurance company (ie, medical, life, endowments, motor, buildings, contents)

Section 2

  • Professional bodies
  • Clubs and societies
  • School/college/university
  • Private Health Provider
  • Dentist
  • Solicitor
  • Optician
  • Doctor
  • Motoring organisations (DVLA – Driving License Standards Agency)
  • Utility companies (water, gas, electricity)
  • Internet Service Provider
  • Telephone Company – mobile telephone
  • Telephone Company – fixed-line telephone
  • Local authority (for council tax and electoral register)
  • TV Licensing
  • Organisations/companies in which you have investments
  • Police / Probation Service (should you have any current or pending criminal actions against you to be heard or you are on the Sex Offenders Register. Similarly, your probation officer if you are on probation)

Our Services

Receive your Professionally Hand Drafted Deed Poll & Everything else you need to change your name by First Class Post.
The best and most common way to change your name in the UK is by Deed Poll. What a lot of people do not realise is that they can change their name themselves. The issue with drafting your own Deed Poll is that it needs to be in the correct format to be accepted. Also Organisations such as Banks and Building Society’s may not accept them unless they are professionally drafted.

With our Deed Poll Drafting Services you will receive a professionally hand drafted Deed Poll via First Class Post, along with your Certified Copies, a personalised cover letter and straightforward guide that includes how to witness your Deed Poll, a list of Frequently asked questions and a list of Organisation’s that you will need to notify.

Adult Deed Poll Service

Legally change your name by deed poll from just £12.99 and have your deed poll dispatched within 24 hours of ordering.

Learn More

Child Deed Poll Service

The only way to legally change your child's name in the UK, whether you are a resident or citizen in the United Kingdom is by obtaining a deed poll.

Learn More

Replacement Deed Poll Service

If you did not obtain your deed poll from us, we will have no record of your name change as there is no official register to source your name change details from.

Learn More

Get your Deed Poll Online for £12.99